Healthy veggie tacos in under 15 minutes!
The Importance of Veggies
Sometimes I feel like I’m not getting enough vegetables in during the day…is that just me? According to the USDA, women ages 19-30 and 31-50 are supposed to get 2.5 cups of vegetables per day. It doesn’t sound like much, but if you’re only consuming vegetables for dinner, it can be pretty hard to meet that requirement.
Even further, the USDA recommends that each week women should consume 1.5 cups of dark green vegetables, 5.5 cups of red and orange vegetables, 1.5 cups of beans and peas, 5 cups of starchy vegetables, and 4 cups of other vegetables. Now that’s a lot of veggies!
I don’t think I’m anywhere close those numbers during a normal week. I’m making a conscious effort, however, to incorporate more plant protein into my diet.
That’s why I’ve been starting to pick up more vegetarian foods at the grocery store, like the Gardein and Morningstar products. You can find these at almost every grocery store in the frozen section.
I picked up the Gardein Ultimate Beefless Ground which I thought was easy enough to incorporate into veggie tacos. I hardly eat red meat as it is so I thought this would be the perfect type of meatless meat to try out first, since I’m not accustomed to a particular taste.
- 3/4 cup Gardein Ultimate Beefless Ground
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped pepper (red or green)
- Taco seasoning
- Toppings of your choice: shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, lettuce
- Combine the Gardein Ultimate Beefless Ground, onion, and peppers into a skillet with some olive oil. Heat on medium and cook until all contents are heated through. Sprinkle in some of the taco seasoning until your desire and stir thoroughly.
- Heat tortillas on a flat cast iron pan or in the microwave. One serving of the beefless ground makes about 3 tacos.
- Put a spoonful of the taco mixture into each tortilla. Top your tacos with toppings of your choice! My favorites are salsa, shredded cheese, lettuce, and cilantro.
And just like that, you scored some ultimate veggie points with this meal! Enjoy!